Re: [External] HOA Dues Structures
From: Janet Boys (jboystemple.edu)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 17:33:40 -0700 (PDT)
We have a mixed approach. We have a flat fee per unit for internet access.
We are part of a master association (which is more than our cohousing) that
charges a fee that is based on # of bedrooms. We have a cohousing fee that
is based on square footage. This is mainly because our utilities are part
of our dues. Bigger units use more energy for heating and cooling and have
more walls etc for insurance purposes.  We are all in one building and the
master association pays for things like snow removal and landscaping of
areas in the development that are not on our property, but we enjoy the
benefits.

One way to allocate dues does not fit all.
Janet Boys
Aria Cohousing Community Association
Denver CO

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 9:35 AM Mac Thomson via Cohousing-L <
cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

> Our community (Heartwood Cohousing in rural SW Colorado), has an unusual
> HOA dues structure. We collect 50% of our dues on a per household basis and
> 50% on a per person basis. The purpose is to try to reflect that some costs
> are more fixed in nature (e.g., replacing the common house roof) and some
> are more variable in nature, meaning that costs go up as usage goes up
> (e.g., shampooing the common house carpets).
>
> After 20 years, we are reconsidering our dues structure and would like to
> know what other dues structures are used by other communities.
>
> Some of the structures that I think are currently used are:
> Flat Rate: Each household pays the same monthly dues.
> Square Footage: Each household pays in proportion to their home’s square
> footage. My understanding is that this structure is more appropriate for
> condos where the condo association is responsible for the maintenance of
> private homes. Since all of our homes are privately maintained, this
> structure doesn’t seem applicable to us.
> Household Income: Each household pays in proportion to their household
> income. We’ve discussed this option and dismissed it.
>
> Are there any other dues structures used by any communities?
>
> Thanks,
> Mac
>

> --
> Mac Thomson
>
> Heartwood Cohousing
> Southwest Colorado
> http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com
>

> "Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have
> that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use."
>           - Emily Post

Janet Boys
(267) 235-3014
*Campaign Donations Are Killing Our Nation. * Help build the movement
to get $$$ out of politics, it’s the only way to get our democracy back.
Download this email signature at StampStampede.org/signature
<https://www.stampstampede.org/signature/>

[image: Stamp Stampede Facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/StampStampede/>[image:
Stamp Stampede Twitter] <https://twitter.com/stampstampede>[image: Stamp