Shared Internet [was HOA Dues Structures
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 11:26:10 -0700 (PDT)
> On Sep 1, 2020, at 9:23 PM, Yochai Gal <yochaigal [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You have a shared Internet plan?
> Can you expound on that?

We initially wired all our units for internet connections just like we did for
telephone connections. We went through many iterations of things to find out
what worked. We had to find the balance between being a business and being a
residential complex.

Finally ended up with 2 business-class modem accounts from 2 providers, Comcast
and RCN. When one service is out, the other is still working. Because they are
business class, we get faster service if there are modem problems.

We have 200/20 service and it serves all 43 units plus the CH very well. That’s
with everyone home now and doing streaming as well as computer work.

The future is wireless so you might not need wired at all. We now have wireless
connections everywhere—I think 3 routers reach most units. Some wireless
routers owned by the community and several people having their own but they
share them.

This is much much cheaper than everyone having their own service, and certainly
cheaper than everyone having their own 200.20 service. You can calculate this
by going to your local cable provider’s website.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC