Re: Shared Internet [was HOA Dues Structures
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 12:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
> On Sep 6, 2020, at 2:58 PM, Yochai Gal <yochaigal [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is that 200/20 each unit, or total? And aside from the WAN failover between
> the two ISPs, do you also Do load balancing (e.g. combine both connections
> for a faster connection)?

Two accounts with 200/20 for all 43 units. And it is fast. I recently had to
upgrade my switches because they were 10/100, not 10/100/1000. My speeds are
now close to 200/20. Maybe Friday evening it is slower. The tech pod has
software so they can see the load and when it is frequently at full capacity,
they increase the service.

And I think we do load balancing. We have had problems with the two modems
having different IP addresses. Some connections don’t like changing IP
addresses so there has been a desire to divide the units between the two modems
and just switch everyone to the one that works when one is down. I don’t know
how that was solved.

> The city our community resides in (Northampton, MA) is considering community
> fiber, but until then we are sort of stuck with Comcast cable per household,
> unfortunately.

It does help to have the two companies. One service or the other will often be
down for only a few minutes, so when we didn’t have both services there were
frequent complaints about the internet being down again.

The person who used to do our reserve studies and advise us on technology and
trends said don’t even bother thinking about upgrading your wiring. Everything
is going wireless.

Nice to have a person who actually knows this stuff on the list.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC