Re: Shared Internet [was HOA Dues Structures
From: Yochai Gal (yochaigalgmail.com)
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 13:35:01 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, replacing 10/100 switches is great (though gigabit generally won't
help much unless you have fiber).

I currently pay Comcast around $100/mo for 1000/40, and it's awful - the
"up" speed, that is. In Belmont (where I moved from) FioS cost $54/mo for
125/125, and the high upload speed actually made my speeds feel much faster
(especially for the work I do).

I'm currently discussing splitting costs with a neighbor, and simply
connecting our homes with wireless nodes (which are excellent these days).
Many communities - such as mine - were not built with networked homes, and
it is indeed true that wireless - especially microwave and 5G - is the
future. Fortunately, we do not need to run cables between homes anymore.

If folks were willing to rely on wireless nodes (microwave) to provide
Internet to each home, it would likely only cost  around $1000 per unit,
including labor.  They would still need to purchase individual access
points or routers for each home ($200 for modern mesh), but they would not
need to pay for Internet each month. You would still need decent equipment
($1000+) where the ISP connection comes in, and a monthly plan akin to what
you describe (failover is awesome).