Re: Shared Internet
From: Edwin Simmers (edwinsimmersbellcoho.com)
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 10:55:53 -0700 (PDT)
When we built our community 20 years ago we ran Cat 5 cables through
underground conduits (with cable and phone cables) to a central point in each
residential building. From there we ran more Cat 5 to wall outlets in every
unit’s rooms. That way our shared Internet could use just one service, one
modem and one router.

Many of those unit wall outlets now serve our Ubiquity WiFi access points that
we’ve scattered around the community using the same SSDI and password. So now
we have free-range WiFi everywhere and hard-wired Ethernet connections where
needed.

Our budget for Internet service, equipment, and Rackspace email provider is
about $6 a month per unit that we just include in our operating budget.