Re: HOAs
From: Mac Thomson (macthomsonme.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 12:51:32 -0700 (PDT)
Wow, that’s a lot of big questions.

I’d be happy to share our HOA covenants with you, although I don’t think they
are wonderful (and I think they may be somewhat state specific). The challenge
is that most HOA’s operate very differently from cohousing communities. Lawyers
typically start with a standard set of covenants and tweak them to try to make
them fit for a cohousing community.

Our covenants were developed by an attorney who had written covenants for
another cohousing community, but my guess is that they were originally based on
covenants from a standard HOA. In any case they seem to be an adequate legal
foundation, but don’t always reflect how we actually do things here.

We are very good about documenting decisions and reflecting them in our
agreements, but they don't always get reflected in our covenants. Revising
covenants is a whole bunch more work and money.

Good luck!

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"I used to be an agnostic, but now I'm not so sure."