Re: Contentious issues?
From: R Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 06:53:48 -0700 (PDT)
Cornerstone Cohousing (Cambridge, MA) has been up and running 20 years, and my
wife and I have been living here for 13.  In my experience, our two most
contentious issues have been …
     (1) Decision-making in plenary.  When I moved here, few decisions were
delegated out of plenary to circles, and the only positive outcome option was
full unanimity (= no objections).  Some members felt like making decisions in
plenary was so onerous, unpleasant and disappointing that they were reluctant
to make proposals, or stay involved.  Others felt like like strict adherence to
the gold standard of no (unresolved) objections about anything from anyone was
the only way to honor the consensus tradition.  But in 2013, we revised our
plenary decision-making process to include, under well-described circumstances,
super-majority voting as an outcome option, to be used only in cases where
strenuous effort fails to obtain full unanimity.
     (2) The capital replacement reserve savings plan.  Some members felt that
it is wise to adopt systematic savings over multiple years as the best way to
pay for big tickets like roof replacement.  Other members felt that the best
way to fund extraordinary expenses is special assessments at the time of need.
Over the years, we  often did have a variable and unpredictable surplus of
collections over spending, so we were rarely operating with dangerously
depleted bank accounts.  But in 2019, we adopted (by unanimity, not by vote) an
actual capital replacement savings plan (“reserve”) based on projections for
what should be replaced when, at what cost, and on an agreed scheme for regular
annual collections.

My main take-away from this is:  Resolving contentious issues may take
persistent and consistent effort over a long time frame.  Think: Many months;
maybe even several years.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing