Re: 12 Unit Cohousing - Too Small?
From: Doug Huston (hustonashlandcoho.com)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 20:31:01 -0700 (PDT)
We are on 1.3 acres with 13 units (townhouses) for 13 years now. A couple of
things we often have said about our size is when it’s good it’s very sweet, and
when it’s not so good - there’s nowhere to hide. And there are much of the same
tasks to be done as with a larger community, but with less members do to it. We
are very much 'in town' in a city/town of 20,00 population in Ashland Oregon
where we recently had terrible fires. We did have to have it rezoned for
increased density which resulted in the seemingly obligatory opposition by
neighbors. We ultimately succeed after a prolonged journey. We self-developed
(think hard about that before doing it - or don’t do it). Two-Acre Woods in
Sebastopol, CA is also a similar sized cohousing community.

- Doug Huston (Ashland Community Cohousing)