Re: Using Realtors with cohousing communities in pre-construction
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 14:09:20 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Sarah —

There are some realtors on this list who have sold cohousing homes. Some of
them actually live in cohousing as well.  I don’t know about pre-construction
sales.  They would have the best view on how this could work.

From my experience …

I was hired by the Developer of Takoma Village and Eastern Village to handle
the outreach, marketing and sales for these two communities.  I live at Takoma
Village.  We started moving in in 2000.   Eastern Village, just down the road
from TVC, move-in stared in 2004.

TVC was 75%  sold through by groundbreaking.  The other 25% sold very quickly
once the dirt movers arrived.

EVC sold through even faster.  I was placing a contract every 1.5 days for a
while.  BUT … right at the end the developers got spooked for some reason that
I still don’t understand to this day and decided to hire a real estate agent.
Ein mess.  For one thing, if he merely talked to a prospect that the community
brought in … he got a commission.  Even if he brought in completely new people
it was up to me and the community to do all the orientation for new folks.
Orientation included helping people decide if cohousing was for them and not
just a nice place to live w a 20 mins walk from the metro station.  He didn’t
even write the contract.  I did that because we had a template for the sale
that included information about cohousing.  He tried really hard to learn about
cohousing but it really wasn’t his thing.  He was a nice guy but from the
beginning it was more work than helpful.

Now the above is  my experience.  It’s not the only one nor is it definitive of
the experience using real estate agents.

Other experiences?

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

It may be that when we no longer know what to do,
we have come to our real work
and when we no longer know which way to go,
we have begun our real journey.
The mind that is not baffled is not employed.
The impeded stream is the one that sings.

–Wendell Berry, “Our Real Work”

NOTE: Please add my new email address to your CONTACTS list.   I’m
transitioning to this new email address.  Please start using annzabaldo [at]
me.com