Re: Was the reality of cohousing different than your dream?
From: Alice Alexander (aliceanne4gmail.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 06:25:33 -0700 (PDT)
Such a great question!

In speaking for myself, of my overall experience living in cohousing for 6
years: cohousing was and is better than expected.

However, there are many aspects of community life that I expected, but
didn't happen, for one reason or another. And other aspects I didn't
expect, of which I am not fond.
So there are disappointments I've experienced.

But then, and this is an important point made recently by one of my wise
neighbors:
at some point, all of us in cohousing are going to be disappointed, with
our community not meeting our expectations.
That's normal!
These disappointments can be motivation for seeking change, or can be an
opportunity to be accommodating, or can be a learning experience that your
community can't always live up to what you would like.

Alice Alexander
Durham Central Park Cohousing (Durham No Carolina)