Re: 12 Unit Cohousing - Too Small?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 08:33:30 -0700 (PDT)
One example of building for a smaller community is the Tiny House Villages for
the homeless in Seattle.

This addresses the issue of “Can we do it economically?” rather than is it
still cohousing. It’s a model that would support a cluster of homes around a
commons rather than a common house. A primary importance of the common house is
having an area where everyone can socialize together, share the functions of
daily life, and provide a space that replaces the largeness in nuclear spaces.

All well and good to have a complete building with utilities, walls, etc., but
the distinctive importance is having a place to expand and assemble as equals
in designated community space. It struck me when I saw the pictures of these
villages that a large outdoor deck could serve a similar purpose. it can be
built DYI, easily maintained, and improved as economically feasible. Add a
shed, a workshop, a canopy, etc.

I think the deck struck me because it is an intentionally created space that
connects homes — it isn’t an empty space between them. It could also be a green
but being designed is important. An empty lot is wonderful but a park-like
space with areas for washing cars and dogs, outdoor cooking, tricycle riding,
and staying mudless designates the area as a functional space, not just an open
space.

There is more here:

https://sustainablecohousing.org/tiny-house-villages-in-seattle/

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines
http://sustainablecohousing.org
sustainablecohousing [at] groups.io
To subscribe:
sustainablecohousing+subscribe [at] groups.io