Re: Kids, decision-making and hierarchy
From: Jessie Kome (jehakome.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 06:20:26 -0700 (PDT)
Hi-

Here at EVC, this has played out different ways. One way is the “nothing about
us without us” path. So we make an effort for all decisions that directly bear
on the kids (messy toys in the courtyard, noise at dinner, selecting a new play
set for the roof) to have at least one facilitated kids meeting to discuss and
get their input and ideas and energy and suggestions and buy in.

Another way is that a young individual sometimes asks to attend our full
membership circle meetings or Board meetings or sign up for the community
mailing list. Which is fine. They can post and speak in meetings if they
choose. One was even an assistant Board member for a while.

One of our kids asked to help facilitate meetings, starting when she was about
13. She turned out to be good at it, pursued training (some with Laird at the
cohousing conferences) and has a masters degree in conflict resolution. (Full
disclosure: proud mama here.) She occasionally still does guest facilitation
for EVC, when we have tricky issues or situations. Most recently, she helped us
transition our facilitated meetings to zoom.

Kids also take part in community work days and meals and community care and all
manner of social events.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland