Re: Fees for common space usage
From: fergyb2 (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 09:09:42 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Allison,
   At Swans market we don’t charge for non profit use of our common house.  We
do require a resident to sign up for any outside group and be in charge of
seeing that our security and cleaning standards are adhered to.  We have had a
couple of music concerts where donations were encouraged for the musicians.  We
explicitly forbid the use of the common house by outsiders for profit making
activities.  However various residents have held work related staff meetings in
the common house. Forming communities have held meetings here and various
organizations like the League of Women Voters.  We have had occasional sales of
clothes by residents held in the common house.  We do have a professional
masseuse come in once a month who sets up in our exercise room(Pre COVID-19)
who charges below market rates for massages for members, which may seem
contradictory but we see it as a special service for residents.  Family parties
and private social gatherings of all sorts are encouraged and there is no
charge.  We don’t see our Common house as a profit center but more like an
extension of our living rooms. Of course only residents can reserve the common
house. Oh and we also have had a person who cleans and details cars set up in
our garage to work only on  residents cars and who was not charged.  All of
this was discussed in our HOA before being approved. Flexibility and
transparency is the name of the game.
   Our guest room policy is each household is allocated up to 3 free nights a
year after which they are charged $10 per night for friends and family.
Community guests (folks from other cohousing communities mostly) are charged
$20 a night. All guests must have a resident host who greets them and sees that
rules are explained and followed and any money collected.  No one can stay more
than 10 days in a row.  We don’t want to be a hotel. The money is taxed and is
used to cover utilities and laundry and upkeep and replacement costs for the
guest room furnishings.  During COVID we don’t allow outside guests although
one resident doing remodeling of their unit is currently sleeping there to
avoid dust and paint fumes.
     No charge is made for the use of the workshop which is only used by
residents or occasionally by contractors working on residents units.  Not
available for outside community use, too many expensive tools which might go
missing.
   Good luck and congratulations on getting close to move in when the real
adventure begins.
Bonnie Fergusson
Swans Market Cohousing
Oakland, CA