Re: Modular Cohousing?
From: Raines Cohen (rc3-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 13:03:12 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 12:11 PM Mabel Liang <mabel [at] twomeeps.com> wrote:

>  I'm surprised no one from there has spoken up

Mabel,

Don’t be too surprised, the thread has only been active for half an hour! I
do know that while they gained some building efficiencies from offsite
modular construction, there were challenges in the connections, issues much
less common today now that many firms have learned how to prevent these
kinds of problems through experience and better prevention.

I do appreciate your reminder to all of us that experiences need
context-in-time to be relevant to learn from: the same as internet wiring
considerations and priority and choices available were very different for a
community that moved in a quarter century ago from one being built today,
building technologies are evolving, and what was innovative and therefore
challenging back then could be easy and commonplace these days.

Raines Cohen, Cohousing Coach & EcoVillage Ambassador, Cohousing California

    Living at Berkeley (CA) Cohousing, where our founders back in the
mid-90s embraced some green innovations well ahead of LEED standards, but
also had some learning experiences, like hiring a contractor that made some
errors, ending up with some repairs later on, and our warranties
invalidated. Also having to jackhammer out a concrete floor when a radiant
heating system embedded in it failed.