Re: query about photovoltaics (solar panels)
From: Grace Kim (graceschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 12:09:29 -0700 (PDT)
At Capitol Hill Urban Cohousing, install happened 4 years after move in (this
summer in fact).

We planned for conduit runs that allowed this to more easily happen...though
there were some hiccups of using that...but if it's not too late, ask your
architect/electrician to provide conduit runs even if you can't do the install
now.

Install was paid for by one of our community members. They really valued this
and wanted to make it happen -it was a measure of future proofing (presuming
that our energy costs may increase in the future).

In terms of asking whether it provides the power we anticipated. We are a very
unique situation - our energy consumption (as measured by Energy Use Intensity
or EUI) was quite low for a multifamily building - we had an EUI of 17 prior to
install of our PV...most multifamily in our region has an EUI of 45-50. So our
needs were pretty low. It is more than covering common house power, although it
will be interesting to see what happens when we resume meals, since cooking
(and showering) are the two largest consumers of residential energy.

I'm cc'ing one of my community members who is tracking energy use more closely
and might have more to report.

If you are interested in seeing what our PV install looks like (as well as our
rooftop farm), we created a very short video this summer.
https://vimeo.com/453836336

grace h. kim aia | schemata workshop, inc.
principal
pronouns: she/her

1720 12th avenue
seattle wa 98122
p 206.285.1589   c 206.795.2470
schemataworkshop.com<http://www.schemataworkshop.com/>

Watch my TED talk at
TED.com<https://www.ted.com/talks/grace_kim_how_cohousing_can_make_us_happier_and_live_longer>

Schemata Workshop employees are currently working remotely given the current
public health situation.