Re: Hiring outside facilitators/professionals
From: R Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 04:06:05 -0700 (PDT)
“Externally”, over the 13+ years I’ve lived here, we’ve had a variety of
“outside” facilitators and trainers come and go.  I usually attend their
events, and their success has definitely been a mixed bag.  In most cases, to
me anyway, success or failure seems more related to the dynamics of the
specific controversy than to the skill of the facilitator.

“Internally”, we do maintain a Conflict Administration Team (CAT).  The
volunteers on this Team are well-intentioned and competent.  But dealing with
interpersonal conflict is just plain painful, and neither CAT volunteers nor
conflicted residents are eager to meet, explore and resolve.  Some or much of
our membership seems to believe that preservation of cordial relationships
benefits from sweeping conflicts under the rug.  Sometimes, some parties in
conflict simply refuse to be available for conflict resolution.

Let’s keep clear the distinction between disagreements and conflicts.  All
communities have disagreements, usually frequently:  Some people think common
meals should always be vegetarian, and others do not agree.  The normal
processes of dialog and consensus will deliver an answer or compromise — after
which, life goes on, and everyone is still friends.  No special facilitation
needed.
      Conflicts, on the other hand, have an emotional charge, put personal
identity and social standing at risk, and evolve into a dynamic where the
contestants see each other as “enemies” who must be “defeated”.  I think most
cohousing has a lot of trouble dealing with real conflict.  I know Cornerstone
does.  Special facilitation may or may not work.  Be slow to blame the
facilitator.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing