Re: Need information on Common House use
From: Linda Hobbet (coholindahobbet.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 14:01:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

Sounds like they lived in a condominium complex where, it is true, the clubhouse gets very little use. Been there, done that. Cohousing is different.

I live in Village Hearth Cohousing, a 28 unit senior community. We are moving in during COVID and our common house isn't set up yet, but it is still used daily for getting mail, doing laundry (7 of our units don't have laundry hook-ups and about half of the rest opted to use the laundry closet for storage and do their washing in the common house). Large meetings are held on zoom, but many small meetings are held in person in the common house, masked and social distanced. The Common House terrace gets lots of use by people just hanging out and more organized events, including a monthly soiree where we read poetry and tell stories. We had a Rosh Hashanah celebration presented by two Jewish members there. I expect the exercise room will start getting used soon, one person at a time, and we think it might be possible for small cook teams to start preparing meals which will be served on the terrace or picked up at eaten at home or in small groups on front porches.

Good luck.

Linda Hobbet