Re: Question about accepted norms in the common space
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 06:49:43 -0700 (PDT)
We had a person who was very allergic to perfumes, chemicals, etc. plus flowers
and pollen. We became very sensitive to this so in general we are careful of
these things. And we would be reminded if we forgot.

Our design means odors wouldn’t go into the CH if people opened their doors;
they just dissipate outdoors. And noise is supposed to stay within one’s unit —
people are good about turning things down. And others are good at reminding
them. Many people are totally unaware of the loudness of their own talking or
music. Or unaware that it is intruding on others. You have to speak up. “You
seem to be playing music in my bedroom."

I would suggest that you have a design problem also. Do your units have exhaust
fans that take odors in the other direction? They may be pulled into the common
space by air currents.

Explaining the canyon effect to people can help too. We can understand
conversations 3 floors down in the piazza for the same reason. And our wings
are much farther apart. The people on the first floor had no clue.

Sharon