Re: Question about accepted norms in the common space
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 07:29:06 -0700 (PDT)
An additional factor is that in a population of older adults, many people will be somewhat hearing impaired and will also have a diminished sense of smell. (This is in addition to the psychological fact of accommodation that reduces our awareness of the familiar smells of our own households relative to visitors' awareness of them, which affects people of all ages.)

So it may just be that people don't realize how loud their tv is, or their phone voice, or their conversational voice, nor how garlicky their food really is. Maybe all that's needed is a polite reminder and a request to close the door.