Re: Question about accepted norms in the common space
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 13:57:55 -0700 (PDT)
It's just not true.

The one person I know has celiac chooses to only eat meals that are made by
people he trusts to maintain perfection in the gluten free. The others, how
would I know if they have celiac or gluten intolerance?

For heaven's sake, I'm sitting here in pain from eating *my own frikken
applesauce* and discovering that my sorbitol intolerance is making me
miserable. I am *not* sharing this with the community, because who wants to
know about my bowel movements???

But I may ask for sorbitol to be added to the list of foods that cooks mark
as present or not in a meal.

Here is how I ask guests about meals--"Let us know any allergies you have
and whether you eat gluten or not, dairy or not, meat or not."

Most of our meals have gluten free, dairy free, and meat free options. We
do this because it is relevant to a large segment of the community and
because we care about each other. We do not suppose to know anything
about their medical state.

Also we have about three people with anaphylactic food allergies. We have
separate rule about what can be stored and chopped in the common house, but
do not have a restriction against cooking with those foods.

FYI Gather has an "allergen checklist" so when the cook creates the meal we
can identify which allergens are present.

Liz