Resale of units
From: Melanie Mindlin (sassettamind.net)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 08:45:08 -0800 (PST)
Hi Jay and Carol,

First of all, I agree with Martie; people primarily concerned with the
amenities of the home are probably not the best new members for your Cohousing
community.  Lots of people looking for housing enjoy visiting homes—it doesn’t
mean they are serious about buying into your special community.

Our community has found re-sale of units to be one of the most challenging
issues.  Most people are in favor of many rules and procedures for reselling to
ensure that we get a quality new resident who knows what they’re getting into
and really wants to do all the things necessary for a successful community.
Then it’s time for them to re-sell, and it changes to "how can I take care of
this burden as quickly and easily as possible?”  The expectations of the
community around educating and getting to know the prospective buyer are not
high on their list of priorities, and for some, are viewed as an impediment to
their goals.

Our community has a policy that members must give the community a 30 day notice
of their intention to sell before they list the home with a realtor.  The 30
days start when they provide a set price and a Flyer describing the home to use
in promoting it.  During this time, the community has the option of naming the
new buyer if they are willing to meet the price.  So far the prices set for
this process have been reasonable, rather than the price that allows for
downward negotiation.  In addition, we have re-sold many homes without using a
realtor and saved everyone the cost of their commission.

Our policy says that any member of the community wishing to change homes has
first priority, and this has happened on several occasions.  We have also sold
a number of homes to friends of members. We contact everyone on our “interested
list”, and we advertise on the CohoUS website, but we have not yet had any
units sell to people found in this way because they are mostly from out of the
area and not prepared to buy on short notice.

Recently, one of our members has purchased a couple of the homes when they came
up for sale and rented them to people who were interested in experiencing our
community before deciding to buy.  Renting for a trial period has been very
successful on the two occasions it has been done, and we hope the current trial
rental will also result in a successful transfer to a community member who is
already integrated and knows they want to live with us.

Sales to people who had not previously lived here have been less successful, as
the new members have been surprised by the amount of work expected of them,
have been unprepared to receive feedback, have not been able to flow with the
tensions that are inevitable in community, feel hampered by a lack of autonomy,
and so on.

Our community also has policies designed to make sure the prospective members
understand Cohousing.  We ask that people read information on Cohousing,
conflict resolution and consensus process.  We have an orientation packet that
is given to every prospective buyer that includes a list of these expectations.
 They are also on our website.  We ask them to come to a dinner, a meeting and
a “tea” specifically for them to meet some of us and ask (and be asked)
questions.  We try to focus these on answering their questions, but sometimes
they don’t even know what to ask and seek information about the house and
infrastructure instead of the important social issues that will determine their
compatibility with the community.

Best of luck with your process.
Melanie