Using a Management Company
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 06:58:55 -0800 (PST)
I have long believed that management companies are not effective for cohousing.
Now I have an opportunity to lead a study to see if I can convince other people
here. We pay close to $2,000 a month for both facilities and financial
management.

Independent consultants are available for specific facilities related issues
and they have a higher level of expertise. A lot of information is available
for the cost of membership in the CAI, which an information source and a
networking opportunity with other condo owners. We have also had a problem with
turnover — just as we learn how to work together, our manager will leave and we
start over even though we are still working with the same management company.

The financial end is handled at the management company by a book keeper that
uses the same computer based systems that we could use ourselves. They also use
services that handle the check processing for condo fees. But with so many
people using direct deposit, etc., there are far fewer than even 10 years ago.
The current company has done well on actually paying bills (not all have) but
we do an enormous amount of monitoring, receipt tracking, double checking
accounting, etc.

I know some communities have mentioned in the past that they do their own
financial accounting. I’m interested in hearing from communities where the
budget includes the whole community — not lot based models where the homeowners
pay for their own property. Our budget for 2021 is $260,000+ and includes
community internet, tv antenna, satellite dishes, water, gas, satellite TV in
the common house, etc.

It was a revelation when going to a CAI annual conference to see who many
services are available and which management companies are using. I believe we
are paying for the middle-management.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines