Re: Saving up for a capital expense
From: Jerry Koch-Gonzalez (jerrysociocracyforall.org)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 15:03:50 -0800 (PST)
Two different kids of reserves.
ReplacementReserves - for big-ticket items that exist already and you need
to save up for. If you are a condo, for example, roofing, siding, roads,
etc. You make a 20-25 year schedule of all the items that fit the
big-ticket label and make a plan for how much you put aside each year into
a separate bank account or least track separately from other funds. This
has to do with taxes. Talk to your community's accountant.
Capital reserves are money you set aside for *new *projects. Yes, you can
carry this over from year to year. But it does not get the special
treatment that replacement reserves get.
The operating budget is what is typically not "carried over" year to year.
If you don't spend what is in your budget for a certain line item you don't
carry it over to the next year in that line item.
Replacement reserves funds must be accounted for separately from capital
reserves, operating funds, and any other funds you set up
While a community member can do the bookkeeping for the community, I
would strongly advise you to get help setting up the books in the first
place from an accountant who does condominium tax returns and from how
other cohousing communities do them.
Jerry

Jerry Koch-Gonzalez  413-687-5444
Co-Founder
, Sociocracy For All <http://sociocracyforall.org/> and  New England NVC
<http://newenglandnvc.org/>
Founding Resident, Pioneer Valley Cohousing Community
<http://cohousing.com/>

To talk to me about sociocracy or NVC, go here:
https://talktojerry.youcanbook.me