Re: Saving up for a capital expense
From: Peter Orbeton (peter.orbetongmail.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 11:11:56 -0800 (PST)
Hi - I served as the Treasurer at Nubanusit Neighborhood & Farm for seven
years, and remain on the Finance Team. We are self-managed. Although a
co-housing community, we are subject to the NH state condo act. Here's my
perspective.

Get and keep up to date a Reserve Analysis (aka Long Term Reserves - LTR).
Our consultant recommended picking a low dollar threshold (we chose $2000)
below which capital items like a washer, etc. are not included. Use your
operating reserve funds to replace those items. Also, LTR's should only be
used for its component items. Although a component item has an expected
life-time, don't feel compelled to replace the item at the end of its
expected life-time if it doesn't really need to be. Just let the funds
remain in LTR. At some point, that item will wear out. And when you update
your Reserve Analysis, let your consultant know and the clock will be reset
so to speak.

Specify an operating reserves amount annually in your budget. We, for
example, had to raise ours recently when we had to switch insurers and the
deductible went from $2500 to $10K (ouch). Pick a reasonable amount
otherwise the IRS may take a dim view - you shouldn't be accumulating funds
that do not benefit recent or current owners. A web search turns up a
range. For 2021 NN&F's will be about 15%.

For a known upcoming capital expense (for example, a new front walk to our
Common House), we funded it over two years; max has been three. The funds
were rolled over to the next year. Yes, it may make your operating reserves
account have a bit more in it, but don't over do it. Bigger ticket items
(we purchased a new farm tractor a year ago) should be funded by a special
assessment.

Familiarize yourself and others with IRS regulations. The IRS is quite
strict about LTR funds and excess member contributions. For example,
directing excess member contributions to the LTR account is a no-no. Our
attorney has also advised us to have the unit owners pass an Revenue Ruling
70-604
<https://www.garyportercpa.com/index.php/component/content/article?id=147:re>
designation
annually.

Finally, consider what we refer to as our "for good cause" provision in
your bylaws. Our attorney suggested it as a layer of protection from owners
feeling a budget item (and their dues) may not benefit them. For example,
we have a small pond, used for swimming and ice skating. We periodically
replenish the beach sand. Not all owners use the pond. The provision is
quite simple - "Such budget, for good cause, may also grant concessions on
common area expenses or direct dues that may benefit less than all units as
may be recommended by Plenary and ratified by the UOA through the budget
approval process."

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks, Peter