Re: Saving up for a capital expense
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 18:05:46 -0800 (PST)
Hi Linda!

I could be wrong about this but one of your reserve funds should be a Capital
Improvements fund. It’s just another reserve fund. You fund it using the same
formula used to determine contributions to your other reserve fund(s).

You are correct that w/out this fund you would either ask for a cash call or
special assessment and you don’t wanna do that.  Think of your various reserve
funds as savings accounts.  You are bound by your state laws on how to fund and
use the accounts but in essence they are just very fat piggy banks.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

It may be that when we no longer know what to do,
we have come to our real work
and when we no longer know which way to go,
we have begun our real journey.
The mind that is not baffled is not employed.
The impeded stream is the one that sings.

–Wendell Berry, “Our Real Work”

NOTE: Please add my new email address to your CONTACTS list.   I’m
transitioning to this new email address.  Please start using annzabaldo [at]
me.com