Re: Unit selection before pricing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 14:21:36 -0800 (PST)
> On Nov 15, 2020, at 4:35 PM, Abe Ross <cohoyote [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> At Treehouse Ecohousing Village, in Nova Scotia, we are contemplating unit
> selection before final unit prices are arrived at.  I have reviewed most of
> the unit selection postings on Cohousing_L  and see that while there is
> anxiety beforehand about selection, it seems to be a non-issue when actual
> selection is made.  I also

My guess is that there are never final prices when the first joiners choose
their units. But people want to know where they can plan to live since all
other questions will be still up in the air. It’s easier to invite new members
and push harder to sell the final units if you at least know which unit you
will have.

Usually your contractor can give you a price range. And you have to have prices
and contracts to get a construction loan.

The best plan I’ve experienced and heard of is having a queue based on the
order of joining. Then after everyone in order has chosen a unit, they can
exchange based on needs or druthers. If people drop out, everyone moves up in
the queue and has a higher position in the queue. That is the order of choosing
or passing on a unit that newly becomes available.

It is okay for people to have a pecking order when it is done transparently: if
everyone knows how it works and how the queue is established. People have
usually had discussions during the design phase about their own
needs/preferences and others respect those when possible. Leaving it all open
and up for grabs is rarely worth the anxiety when everyone is trying to be fair
and avoid looking grabby.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines