Re: contents of cohousing - non resident members
From: Barbara Baatz (beejay.baatzgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 13:42:56 -0800 (PST)
Dear Mac,

I am applying for membership in a cohousing community and, as part of
the admission process, I have been asked to research how various
cohousing communities handle the resale of units.

In the process of looking at cohousing websites, I have stumbled on to
Heartwood's. I have been intrigued by the detailed information that exists
on your website which clearly delineates what is expected of the members.
It also has very detailed instructions for what a prospective member must
do before becoming a member. For example, among a myriad of activities you
offer prospective members the invitation to visit and to participate in
community life before making a commitment. Given Heartwood's unusual and
amazing setting. I understand that this is highly  desirable.

However, what I found regarding the selling or the renting of Heartwood
homes seemed to imply that the member is on his or her own. If I have
understood the information on your website correctly, the community has
such a comprehensive orientation process for potential new members that
only those who will integrate well into the  community will end up buying
or renting one of Heartwood's homes. Therefore, the community doesn't need
to be involved with the selling process per se. Rather, any prospective
buyer or renter will be well known by the community before the rental or
purchase is completed.

Is my understanding correct? If not, how is Heartwood involved in the
rental or selling of community homes?

Has the approach always worked or have you made course corrections over the
course of your 20 years of existence as a community?

If you are not the person I should direct this email to, I would appreciate
it if you would forward it to the person who could help me answer these
questions. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Bee Jay

p.s. I did find mention of a "Returning Member Checklist" which implies
someone has moved out but decided they were better off at Heartwood. It
must be an amazing community!