Re: contents of cohousing - non resident members
From: Mac Thomson (macthomsonme.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 06:16:34 -0800 (PST)
Bee Jay,

I’m happy that maybe our website has given you some helpful information. I’ll
do my best to answer your questions. Feel free to call if you’d like.
970-903-9751

> However, what I found regarding the selling or the renting of Heartwood homes
> seemed to imply that the member is on his or her own. If I have understood
> the information on your website correctly, the community has such a
> comprehensive orientation process for potential new members that only those
> who will integrate well into the  community will end up buying or renting one
> of Heartwood's homes. Therefore, the community doesn't need to be involved
> with the selling process per se. Rather, any prospective buyer or renter will
> be well known by the community before the rental or purchase is completed.
>
> Is my understanding correct? If not, how is Heartwood involved in the rental
> or selling of community homes?

While it’s true that the homeowner is ultimately responsible for selling or
renting their home, the community is involved in selling and renting homes. Our
Membership team maintains advertising and our website, our biggest marketing
tool during prospective members initial exploration. We have someone on the
Membership team whose job it is to be a liaison to homeowners selling or
renting their home.

The liaison will make sure that the homeowner gets their listing info to the
website manager. Each home for sale or rent gets its own page on our website.
Maybe most importantly, the liaison makes sure that homeowners with homes for
sale or rent follow our Membership agreements
<https://www.heartwoodcohousing.com/agreements.html>  namely to have
prospective buyers or renters go through our membership process (Prospective
Member Checklist
<https://www.heartwoodcohousing.com/prospective-member-checklist.html>)
*before* making a long term commitment (buying the home or entering a long term
lease agreement). We want prospective members to make a well educated decision
about living in the community before they make a long term commitment to buying
or renting. The purpose of our Prospective Member Checklist is to help people
make a well educated decision.

> Has the approach always worked or have you made course corrections over the
> course of your 20 years of existence as a community?

Maybe our biggest challenge has been landlords who are in a hurry to rent space
and shortcut the process just to get new renters (rental income), even though
those new renters might not know what they’re getting into in terms of joining
a community and the expectations related to that. So our Membership agreements
haven’t changed too much over the years, but our efforts to get people to
follow them has been increased.

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably
worth it."