Corelle dishes [was:Common House Kitchen Master List...
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 08:39:47 -0800 (PST)
Sharon Villineswrote on 16 Nov 2020:

>> On Nov 16, 2020, at 8:09 PM, Muriel Kranowski <murielk [at] vt.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I second Bonnie's suggestions, but speaking from our experience, Corelle
>> plates are not unbreakable.
>
>They changed their formula a few years ago and are now breakable. But not as
>fragile as they look.
>
>There is a lot online about it. As I remember the French are the only ones with
>unbreakable now.

Sharon, can you find a source for "changed their formula" ?
Sounds like a conspiracy hoax (to make them planned obsolesent) to me.

Corelle is not and has never been "unbreakable" but they are "break
and chip resistant".  We've had about 3 sets in our for about 40 years.
We still have and use almost all of the three sets regularly (I like to
wash them infrequently in our two person household.)

We have a ceramic tile kitchen floor and over the years we have broken
some pieces by dropping them. Often they survive dropping.  When they do
break it is dramatic, breaking into many pieces but I think the pieces
are less hazardessn not as small or sharp as regular glass.

There is a comdic youtube video that show a Corelle bowl breaking on
the 4th drop at:  (it finally breaks about 4:30 into the 6:50 video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpt1ABoPuNs

Fred