Re: Corelle dishes [was:Common House Kitchen Master List...
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 09:56:26 -0800 (PST)
> On Nov 18, 2020, at 11:39 AM, Fred H Olson <fholson [at] cohousing.org> wrote:
>

> Sharon, can you find a source for "changed their formula" ?
> Sounds like a conspiracy hoax (to make them planned obsolesent) to me.

As Dick said they sold off their patents, etc., and change things without
notice (or not obvious notice). They sail by on reputation. In the 1970s they
were advertised as unbreakable and they still have a 3-year warranty. From
their website:

> Corelle® dinnerware stands up to the bangs and bumps that are bound to happen
> in any home. It’s made from triple-layer strong glass— yes, glass— that's
> thin, lightweight, beautifully translucent, and yet uniquely durable everyday
> at every meal. It's stylish enough to own a room, but stacks up in less space
> than ceramic plates and bowls. Corelle® dinnerware is non-porous,
> ultra-hygienic, and easy to clear and clean, and it won’t crack (or chip)
> under pressure, even in the dishwasher. If it does break, crack or chip,
> we’ll replace it up to three years after your purchase.

We switched from Fiesta Ware to Corelle when we changed from a sanitizer to
high capacity home dishwashers. A few pieces have broken but definitely not so
many as if we had regular tableware.

With Corelle we can get a normal meal for ~25 or so people in one dishwasher.
I’m not a kitchen person but I think that number is right. I did organize the
switch away from a noisy sanitizer that some people loved, others hated, and
frightened some to two KitchenAid machines everyone knows how to operate. When
the dishwashers are running the sound is almost imperceptible when standing
right next to them. We have an open kitchen so the noise of the sanitizer
affected lingering conversations.

I thought we would need 3 but 2 has been entirely sufficient unless we have
50-60 people at a special event. I remember once when dishes were left over
after 2 washers were filled.

The reason I prefer the residential dishwashers, aside from the noise, is that
small bits of dishes are put in them during the week. These glasses and cups
used to sit on the counter until someone fired up the sanitizer which might be
only once a week. It was not appetizing. Now they go into the dishwasher and it
if gets full, it is run. Usually it is run with the next meal.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC