Re: Moving back from concensus?
From: R Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 09:18:02 -0800 (PST)
I agree that consensus in cohousing works best when everyone is on board with a
viable formal process and an expectation of compromise.  It also helps to
implement a structure of delegation such that only major issues and decisions
arrive at plenary / full circle, and only after they’ve been well-baked by
smaller groups.

Even so, at Cornerstone, we now allow for a well-defined consensus process to
conclude with one of two outcomes: (1) Ideally, with resolution of all
objections, and solidarity/unanimity on the (revised and evolved) proposal; or,
if solidarity is unfindable even after an arduous good-father effort, then (2)
a super-majority vote (75% affirmation threshold).

So have we abandoned consensus?  What’s interesting is that now we find it’s
actually easier to attain consensus agreement.  We almost never go to
super-majority vote.  I think what’s happened is that those who are most in
opposition discover that their own needs and interests are better served by
participation in a consensus agreement than by adamant “blocking” that leads to
a voting outcome.  Compromise works better, I think, when everyone has a good
reason to compromise.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing