Re: Moving back from concensus?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 09:36:30 -0800 (PST)
> On Dec 12, 2020, at 8:11 PM, Lyn Deardorff <lynpeachtree [at] outlook.com>
> wrote:
>
> I would like to hear from Co-Housing communities that have in any way moved
> back from Consensus.  Did you adopt a Hybrid Consensus (move to a
> supermajority vote for example) or even abandoning it all together for a more
> traditional majority vote?

I can’t say that we have even discussed dropping consensus but the newer
members (we’ve had a lot of turn-over in the last few years for natural
reasons) are much less ideological about it. It doesn’t feel special to many of
them, Those who are staunch advocates have also experience the world when
consensus was “new” in political groups. The 1960s and later the Feminist
Movement, in my experience, brought it to the fore. Because it has seeped
through the larger culture in many different forms it is less of a thing. And
is often viewed as really dumb or weird. But if you wanted to do things the
easy way, you wouldn’t have moved into Cohousing.

The way in which it has been pulled back is delegating more decisions to teams.
Teams need to notify the community of their decisions and work out objections.
If the objections cannot be worked out, the decision goes to the Board or the
Membership. The Membership has the last say in all decisions. But it is rare
that a conflict gets as far as a Membership Meeting.

There is another factor as well. We have been moved in for 20 years. Many
decisions have been made and the community is functioning smoothly. New people
are moving into a community that has resolved issues around meals, meetings,
pets, soda and pingpong in the CH, workshare. Stuff that affects individuals
who are bound by group practices — not always out and out rules, but this is
how we do it. Anything is up for reconsideration but people usually understand
when we explain why we do things this way.

I think because they see everything working more or less logically, they aren’t
concerned about their own opinions holding sway. In the beginning, there were
no agreements and we were all coming from different cultures so we had to work
everything out.

New people bring new information and new ideas and new energy and it has almost
always been welcome. It works or it fades away. (I still consider people who
have been here 5 or fewer years new.) We have far more activities than we had 5
years ago. I’m an introvert so mostly I enjoy that other people are having fun
out there and I don’t have to be there. But even during Covid, we have found
ways to adjust. Some things we can’t do like the White Elephant Gift Exchange
and regular meals. But the schedule is full, as well as the Zoom calendar.
Again, people initiate activities but we don’t think about them needing
consensus unless they are public and reflect on the nature of the community.

I’ll write another message on the Consensus vs Sociocracy issue.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines
http://affordablecohousing.com
affordablecohousing [at] groups.io
To subscribe:
affordablecohousing+subscribe [at] groups.io