Re: Moving back from concensus?
From: R Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 13:41:04 -0800 (PST)
Sharon —

I’ve actually never found the expression can or can’t “live with it” to be very
helpful.  If I’m in plenary among my friends and neighbors, and I object, and
my objection means I “can’t live with it” … what am I saying?  That I’ll die if
you make this decision?  That I’ll hate you forever and become the community
hermit?  That I’ll move away?  None of those, of course, bear any relation to
my objection, or to the feelings behind the objection.

Since we adopted our consensus reform in 2013, we’ve had very little in the way
of super-majority voting.  But I was party to a couple of these votes, and in
at least one case, the only no voter.  I was entirely alone.  And “can’t live
with it” was completely irrelevant.  What I was saying was …
     “I’m sorry, but I really think you’re making a mistake, and here’s why.  I
think we can do better, and here’s how.  I cannot, in good conscience, endorse
the majority preference in a matter of this significance.  And I won’t.”

And after all that … I was still a member in good standing of my community, and
still an active contributor.  And I certainly understood that the decision
applied to me, and I expected fo comply with both letter and spirit.  And for
me personally, I was much more comfortable in adhering to my own integrity,
instead of pretending to “like” something I really didn’t “like”.  And after
the vote, life goes on.  Consensus is great, but voting can be liberating.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA 02140