Re: Moving Back from Consensus
From: Mac Thomson (macthomsonme.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 10:12:36 -0800 (PST)
I find it interesting that people distinguish between consensus and sociocracy
as if they are two different things. In my understanding, sociocracy is a form
of consensus with clearly spelled out procedures, organizational structure,
delegation, etc. Both forms allow all participants to consent to a decision.

It seems to me a bit like the distinction between intentional communities and
cohousing. Cohousing is a subset of intentional communities with certain
specifically spelled out criteria.

I admire the workings of sociocracy and feel that if our community decided to
adopt it, we would not be departing from consensus. We’d just be moving to a
certain well defined and organized form of consensus. Not having worked within
sociocracy and only having studied it, maybe my understanding is wrong.
Thoughts from others working within sociocracy?

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

“Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard
at work worth doing."
        - Theodore Roosevelt