Re: Moving back from concensus?
From: Mariana Almeida (missmgrrlyahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 11:29:00 -0800 (PST)
This struck a nerve, Philip: "But that investment of time and empathy may be
unaffordable to many ordinary members — the ones who are unwilling to meet each
week, month after month, to find a place to build a bicycle shed." This is also
my experience with consensus in Berkeley Cohousing after 17 years.
Consensus creates conditions where the most conservative opinion is the one
that wins out. Inertia settles in. Long standing logjams happen. Only the most
determined people can get a proposal through.
Witness: one year to get an online calendaring system to be agreed to and used.
Five years (or was it 7?) to get a seismic improvement approved. Three
proposals to get wifi in the common house and adjoining units.
Policies that never made it: pet policy. We have no resale policy. No work
share policy. No associate member policy.
People burn out (hi!) Nothing new gets done. People ignore the rules because
they don't fit the circumstances anymore. We can't hope to get new rules out
without blood, sweat, tears and so much talking.
I have longed for something new and learned all about sociocracy. But to change
from consensus, I'd have to devote way too much time.
Mariana
Berkeley CohousingAgenda committe and Common House Committe.

    On Monday, December 14, 2020, 04:00:18 PM PST, R Philip Dowds via