Re: Self-developing cohousing vs. working with a developer
From: Alice Alexander (aliceanne4gmail.com)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:41:51 -0800 (PST)
Great advice from Sharon!

I would also encourage communities to consider engaging developers who have
cohousing experience in working with forming groups (not an easy task!),
and how best to achieve designs that work in cohousing, including a common
house and common facilities.

My Durham Central Park Cohousing Community is self developed, thanks to
incredible talent and years of hard work by our co-founders. However, I
would not recommend this path for the faint hearted.

I'll add that although we self developed, we benefited greatly from
engaging Laura Fitch (Fitch Architecture) for just one Saturday, to provide
us with the tools to design our common space with our local architects;
tools that we continue to use today. Laura shared advice based on years of
creating and designing cohousing, advice not easily conveyed or understood
by those without.

PS We have two condos for sale in our amazing Durham Cohousing in downtown
Durham. Check us out www.durhamcoho.com
Alice Alexander
Durham Cohousing (Durham, No Carolina)