Tent City Urbanism: From Self Organized Camps to Tiny House Villages by Andrew Heben
From: Sharon Villines via groups.io (sharon=sharonvillines.comgroups.io)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 12:51:26 -0800 (PST)
Sometimes I find a book I just love. This is one of them. The author writes
based on his professional and living experience with tent cities and tiny
houses, and discusses the community that develops with housing stability and
self-management. He also details some of the negative effects of the political
and economic influences that come along with getting government approval and
financing. He is also a founder of the American Tiny House Association. He
designed and built his own 384 SF house where he lives with his partner and
their baby.

Heben now develops Tiny House Villages with SquareOne Villages, a non-profit
organization in Oregon creating self-managed communities of cost-effective tiny
homes for people in need of housing.

https://www.squareonevillages.org

For this book he traveled across the US to study over a dozen tent cities
organized by the homeless, mostly illegal, and spent time living at one in Ann
Arbor, Michigan known as Camp Take Notice.

If you are trying to build low income housing, starting with camps and tent
cities you can work up instead of thinking middle class and trying to work
down. Those that have become legal to some extent stayed in place formed
communities with governance structures, behavioral norms (no drugs, no guests
after 10:00, etc.) And built a common house with showers and a kitchen. One
community was required to move every 3 months but they did it and stayed
together. (Tiny houses installed on concrete pillars (short) can be fairly
easily moved.)

Some communities he discusses are non-profit organizations and others have some
government support. The essential feature is that they are self-governed and
function like cohousing. Some are quite large — 100 residents.

He includes a lot of information about dealing with zoning and government
agencies, not always for funding but for permission to exist on unused city
land, church grounds, etc.

One process for dealing with zoning that I first thought would be unhelpful for
cohousing is to start by forming a non-profit organization of advocates and
volunteers. It helps the community organizers obtain zoning approval and
building permits. The advocates also explain the project to the city and
neighbors. Advocates can be local leaders, construction experts, city planners,
etc. who also bring their reputations and contacts to the project.

Many people see cohousing as an exciting project that they want to be more
involved with even though they have no idea of living in it.

The book is filled with ideas and real-life stories, and a sample plan for
building and governing a tiny house village. The site plans look like cohousing
with common houses, community gardens, house clusters, etc.

Important to me, he also talks of “intimate democracy,” learning how to
function democratically with the people in the next tent. He stresses this as a
primary value and for tent cities  it would also helpful in convincing city
agencies that this is a community designed for the public good. Not another
lawless encampment of drunks on welfare.

He also give comparative costs of city/state run shelters and housing compared
to self-governed, self-sufficient communities. I was shocked to find out how
much city-built projects cost per living unit. It was published in 2014 so
these are out of date but the ratios are probably still relevant.

Available as a used book and from the author’s website. Or the Village
Collaborative.
https://www.villagecollaborative.net/book

I bought a used copy from ABE Books but it turned out to have a lot of
underlining, starred paragraphs, and circled words. Grrrrr. So I just ordered a
new one. I wanted my own.

Highly recommended for furthering the cause of affordable cohousing for all.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines
http://affordablecohousing.com
affordablecohousing [at] groups.io
To subscribe:
affordablecohousing+subscribe [at] groups.io