Re: Holiday sharing
From: Vicki Rittner (vickirittnergmail.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 17:07:06 -0800 (PST)
As another person living alone, I tried to get support in my community for
splitting the cost of a pre-cooked Thanksgiving dinner (Whole Foods, local
restaurant, etc.) and offering it to the others living alone. (Heated up in
the community kitchen, eaten at separate tables or back in our individual
homes.) My logic was that none of us would cook a turkey dinner for
ourselves, but when I lived with my husband, I always made a full dinner
with a turkey breast.

The input from others was that the singles didn’t want to pay $20-$25 for
one meal, and the couples would feel left out. And the couples are tired of
cooking, so they would be more likely to go for it.

I gave up and went to my sister’s; we sat in the open garage and I left 90
minutes later with a full take-out turkey dinner (with enough for
leftovers) that she made for her immediate family. I didn’t eat with them,
to avoid being too close without a mask.

I wish the couples in my building would consider the singles, when they are
making a holiday dinner. It would make my month, to receive such a special
gift.

Those of you who do that for your singles, like Maraiah mentioned at
Rosewind, are truly sharing the joy of Christmas.

Vicki