Re: Work participation success stories
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 20:40:14 -0800 (PST)
I love this assessment Sharon!  I too wanted clearer rules and expectations,
and had a hard time trusting that we could manage our multi-million dollar
property without better tracking. Over the years, I had to let go or go
crazy....and guess what? We haven't fallen apart.

I think it is very important to set clear expectations about hours for getting
the work done, or be willing to pay for someone else to do it. I have found
clarity about expectations is much more important than tracking, and in fact, I
wouldn't even bother to try to track hours now.  Next most important is
actively plugging in new people....its harder to figure out what to do than you
might think.  And yes to workdays. We get good turnout at workdays, and a lot
gets done, and everyone has a good time working together.  If you want someone
to do more, you'll be much more effective inviting them to join you in some
tasks than berating them for hours you don't think they contributed properly.

Somewhat ironically, the reason we never agreed on a tracking system was that
one of our members who did tons of work himself, was strongly oppose to
tracking.  And there is so much people do that is not visible. Be very careful
about judging what other are or aren't doing. And then there are the times when
we each just need a break....and I am so grateful when no one makes an issue of
me not showing up from time to time.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 1/4/21, 8:24 PM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Sharon Villines via Cohousing-L"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on
behalf of cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org> wrote:

    There are many, many posts in the archives on workshare, but as someone
noted most of them are complaints. With Covid we are in strange times but this
how workshare at Takoma Village has developed over 20 years:

    1. We figured out what needed to be done and how to do it and how to
cluster jobs and form working groups around task areas. That took years. And
acceptance on the part of some that freeform doesn’t work on a long-term basis.

    2. After several years, we scheduled workdays so tasks could be organized
around them and people would show up to work with others. And have lunch. The
focus is on specific tasks — rake, sweep, wash, sort, etc.

    3. We ask people to be the point person for a room (Living, Kids, Kitchen,
etc.) or a specific service (elevator, HVAC, parking gate, light bulbs, sump
pumps, etc.)

    4. New residents. The Resale and Rental group has organized tours and
information sessions so we have a list of informed people well before a unit
becomes available. When they move in they are well aware of that
self-management means “you do the work." They get full information about tasks,
workdays, teams, etc. And people listen. I would say that without exception,
new residents are more involved than those they replaced. Even when the
previous residents were significantly involved.

    Initially I was very committed to developing a system of recording
workshare hours. I wrote policies and designed a database to track people and
tasks. Studied the process of other communities. This went on for years. A few
of us agreed to post the jobs we were doing and the hours we worked. We felt
that some people just didn’t understand how much works was being done by
others, or what the tasks were—this would educate them.

    I hated it. It was tedious and added work. And raised unresolvable issues
about whether a task really took 5 hours, or if this task was really community
work or work that needed to be done.

    I finally realized that I didn’t care how many hours people worked or how
many more hours I worked. What was most important is that people were engaged
and responsible. And the things I needed done to feel secure were getting done,
even if I had to do them.

    Engaged means residents are “visible” on email, at meetings, etc. You know
who they are and where they are.

    Responsible means reliable. We could depend on them to take responsibility
for a task. Not just doing it in the moment but ensuring that outside help was
contacted when necessary and the community was kept informed about any needed
maintenance or upgrades. Being proactive.

    For example, one person realized early on that we needed a lighting
monitor. She figured out all the kinds of bulbs we needed, organized the
ordering so replacements were always on site, set up recycling for burned out
bulbs, and found people on an ad hoc basis to climb the tallest ladders to
change the bulbs while she held the ladders. She monitored and others informed
her when bulbs needed replacing. This whole process was functioning well before
many of us realized it was even being done. Years later she arranged her own
replacement.

    This kind of proactive taking responsibility meant that for 20 years,
neither I nor anyone else has had to even think about a burned out light. How
many hours did she spend on this task? I have no idea—our bulbs are energy
efficient and long lasting. But no matter if it took an hour a month, it was
worth far more. We have others who have taken responsibility for other areas in
the same way.

    I have taken on tasks that I thought needed to be done and just did them.
Early on, asking for permission and finding who to ask for it, would have taken
longer than doing the task. For some tasks, I was the only one who knew how to
do them or knew they needed to be done. It has taken time for everything to get
sorted out but we are now more formal about who is taking responsibility for
what and have it posted on the website.

    There are still a few repeated requests for someone to take over this or
that task but far, far fewer than we used to have. And there is less anxiety
about whether they will get done or not. The largest problem is that we now
have some huge 20-year replacement tasks that take a lot of time but are harder
to divide and share. Having too many people organizing/supervising means
communications get disjointed. Not good when dealing with consultants and
contractors with $200,000+ budgets.

    Sharon
    ----
    Sharon Villines