Re: NVC and privilege
From: Tom Smyth (tomtomsmyth.ca)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 06:08:19 -0800 (PST)

> I was intrigued about the question on NVC and POC.  That is what I was
> asking the other day about "strong emotions". It seems slanted to one
> culture  - one of quiet and keep it all in type of culture. Not expressive
> like most, not all, Mediteranean and Latino cultures.
>
> I did a google search to see what people are saying about NVC and found the
> article below.  Going along with Sharon's post about people being "nice" I
> found this quote from the article: (not sure if it goes with what you were
> saying about heated arguments but made me think of it):
>
> "It gives the oppressor the tools to appear more loving, kind, and thus
> morally superior, while not having to do any work on the actions that
> *precedes* language."

I totally agree and am not a fan of NVC. I've seen it abused too many
times, even by a younger, more naive version of myself.

--
Tom Smyth

Worker-Owner, Sassafras Tech Collective
Specializing in innovative, usable tech for social change
sassafras.coop · @sassafrastech
Pronouns: he/him
  • NVC and privilege CJ Q, January 7 2021
    • Re: NVC and privilege Tom Smyth, January 7 2021