Re: Re Email abuse
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:35:07 -0800 (PST)
The only way I know to affect other people's behavior is to tell them
directly why it was bothersome and ask them to stop it.

That doesn't guarantee that it will stop, but I guarantee it won't
stop if you *don't* do that.

I'd love it if each time someone saw an email that annoyed them they
would (off the list!!!--just to the person) send a note to that person
telling them what was annoying about it and why, and what you wish
they'd do instead.

If people who sent emails that bother many people got 8 responses
explaining why it was bothersome that would help. I was in community
for more than 10 years before someone told me that the way I use all
caps to emphasize things sounds like yelling (and matched how loudly I
talk when I'm passionate, which people also hear as yelling.)
One person showed how to use *astericks* for emphasis instead.

It is possible the end result will just be that you discover that one
or two people can't/won't adjust their behavior, but at least everyone
will feel better for having spoken up for themselves. Eventually you
will just roll your eyes when they get started.

I've asked our geeks team to make it so our email server slows down
anytime there are three messages from the same person within 10
minutes and they just laugh and say "wouldn't that be nice".

When we have email explosions on our list they usually last about 45
minutes, then someone says tone it down, and then there is nothing. If
someone cares about the topic it may come up again a week or so later,
often with a better starting email.

Liz
Mosaic Commons, Berlin, MA