Reserve Studies
From: Jack & Carolyn Salmon (2salmonearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 14:09:04 -0800 (PST)

> Have any of you gotten professional reserves studies done? If so, can you
> give me info on whether it was useful and how big your community is. Thx
> Susan RohrbachSonora CohousingTucson

Quimper Village Board (all members) agreed to do our first reserve study before
we actually completed construction.  We hired Association Reserves to do the
study.   The engineer who produced it looked at plans, specifications and
buildings under construction.  We pay for an annual (desk) review and had
another on- site inspection report at the end of our 3rd year.  We decided to
fund our reserves at 50%  of the full-replacement  amount.  It just made sense
to us to ‘amortize’ at least half of the cost of future major
maintenance/replacement from the beginning.  Lots easier financially to put a
small amount in each year, than having to come up with big chunks of money in
years when there are high maintenance costs.

Carolyn Salmon
Quimper Village
Port Townsend,WA