Re: Straw poll about condo fees
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 06:55:45 -0800 (PST)
I’m not sure how to do the math given our complicated situation at Mosaic
Commons but I’ll give you the ranges. Putting aside our subsidized homes,
fees range from about $400 (600 ft one bedroom) to $900 (1800 sf 4 BR).
(Our square footages are misleading as they don’t include our enormous
attics, nor basements, which about half the homes have).

This covers:
Water (private source)
“Walls in” (full coverage) insurance
Maintenance of exteriors of homes (townhouse style)
Trash pickup
Landscaping
Reserves
(It also obviously covers the subsidy for the “affordable” units)

BUT we have a separate budget for “cohousing” stuff -  CH furniture and
supplies, community gardens, events and workshops, team budgets, etc. this
also covers most of the CH electricity. This averages about $75 per unit,
but people can choose how much to pay. It varies from about $5 to $200 and
doesn’t correlate at all to unit size.

BTW if you want reasonable data I suggest giving more detail than
“maintenance”. Some communities are built lots where homeowners cover their
own exterior maintenance which leads to much lower fees. Some are apartment
style and cover some interior maintenance.

Diana