Conflict Avoidance & Sociocracy [was Diana's course on Socioacracy
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 08:49:22 -0800 (PST)
> On Jan 16, 2021, at 3:22 PM, CJ Q <homeschoolvideo [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I went to the example course and I really like how she says most consider
> community living having a lot of conflict but it doesn't have to be that
> way and Sociocracy makes governing easy and takes away blockers and
> controllers and bullies in the consensus process.  I like a fresh look on
> community living - she said she prefers Sociocracy and getting things done
> smoothly.

True that sociocracy is about getting things done well and keeping an effort
moving forward, even if just in baby steps. And the over-all goal is
harmony—not lack of conflict but of ways to address the underlying causes of
conflict productively.

But what I would like to see is a sales pitch that says

“A method for converting passive-aggressive team members into active
participants in decision-making so it is not necessary for other members of the
team to become belligerent and demanding before anyone will move forward.
Evidence based processes for overcoming fear of making decisions and supporting
innovation.”

Some sources on conflict avoidance:

Why Conflict Avoidance Is an Unhealthy Way to Deal with Problems
https://www.learning-mind.com/conflict-avoidance/

Stop Avoiding It – Why Conflict Is Good For You
https://www.pickthebrain.com/stop-avoiding-it-why-conflict-is-good-for-you/

Overcome Your Fear of Confrontation and Conflict
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/overcome-your-fear-of-confrontation-and-conflict-1917869

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines, Washington DC

“Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is an act of justice.”
Nelson Mandela