Re: Is consensus holding back the cohousing movement?
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 18:11:09 -0800 (PST)
Martie Weatherly <mhweatherly [at] earthlink.net>
due to format rpoblem - html only post.

Please do not post in html only format.

Thank you Tom for saying how challenging it is to take on living and working
together in a consensus community where collaboration and embracing differences
are the norm. Every person must walk into the meeting with a commitment to a
"you and me" world rather than a "you vs. me" world. As you said, this is not
the norm in our society, but it is worth working for.

A consensus community takes on how to use conflict in a creative way, to see
each point of view and find what is best for the community as a whole at that
time. Consensus requires clearly delegating tasks to teams but it also allows
each person the time to look into their heart and stop the action if they feel
they must to address the concern.

We are getting better at it with discussions such as the ones here e.g. how to
handle email (which has no simple answer that I have seen). Also in doing the
hard work in each community to write their own Pathway to Consensus and how to
handle a late concern or a myriad of other challenges to have robust and
functional cultures.

Cohousing and consensus are not for everyone but they do and will give each
member the chance to change the way we live together in our communities and in
the rest of our lives too.

Martie Weatherly
Liberty Village
Consensus Coach