Re: Enclosed yards for dogs
From: Mac Thomson (macthomsonme.com)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 10:35:31 -0800 (PST)
We are a rural (361 acres) and unusual community, I would guess, in that we
have both free ranging and non-free ranging dogs — owners decide based on their
dog's temperament, etc.). We have organized a poop patrol, whereby all free
range dog owners are responsible for twice weekly (plus on-call) patrols to
pick up dog poop in specified areas around the cluster. All areas around the
cluster are assigned to some dog owner and this info is widely communicated.

Overall the system works great. It’s not without its upsets on occasion, but
overall great. I can’t imagine such a system working in a neighborhood without
the level of cooperation, tolerance, respect, and communication that one gets
in a cohousing neighborhood. Free range dogs here have a fabulous life getting
to interact with lots of humans and other dogs. And non-dog owners get to have
relationships with dogs if they want. Dogs that don’t have a good temperament
for free range privileges (barking, fighting, etc.) are kept on leash by their
owners near the cluster. Most non-free range dog owners let their dogs off
leashes out on our trails, etc, except for the especially aggressive rescue
dogs (not many of those thankfully.)

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards."
        - Benjamin Franklin