Re: starting an emergency fund at our cohousing community in Tucson, AZ
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 21:08:07 -0800 (PST)
Hello Lidia —

So wonderful to hear members of your community are setting up this emergency
fund.  It’s an example of just one of the myriad ways in which cohousing
communities demonstrate their ability to care for neighbors.

Here at Takoma Village people donated to a fund.  Donations were deposited into
a member’s unused and empty PayPal account.  Anyone needing assistance
contacted that person.  The only requirement was the need to be covid related.
 We did not ask for documentation because it’s hard enough for folks to ask for
help.  And,  community is born in trust.  I just cannot imagine anyone in our
community asking for support who didn’t really need it.

Our experience shows that not everyone comes forward at the same time.  In
fact, it took seven months to disburse the funds.  People may have been working
earlier and then laid off at the end of the year.

I don’t think there’s any “wrong” way to do this.  Consider not making the bar
too high for folks to take advantage of your offer.  Like others I urge
confidentiality.  It’s really hard for people to ask for monetary support.
(Personally, I’d rather give you a kidney than ask for financial help.)  Be
gentle w/ people who may need assistance.  It’s rough out there!

Wishing you the very best in this endeavor, Lidia.  The bonds of community are
woven w/ threads like this.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Member, Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654

One minute you’re young and fun.  And the next, you’re turning down the stereo
in your car to see better.  www.bizwaremagic.com

NOTE: I am switching back to: zabaldo [at] earthlink.net.  Many apologies!