Re: Sample Rules and Regulations
From: Diana Carroll (dianaecarrollgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 05:59:03 -0800 (PST)
Ed Sutton says "I strongly recommend that cohousing groups undertake
drafting clear and difficult policies before building and moving in."

We (Mosaic Commons, Berlin, MA) got this advice and followed it, and had a
lot of policies around "hot topics" in place before we moved in, some even
before we had land.

And...I can't really recommend it as whole-heartedly as others recommended
it to us.

We spent a LOT of time and emotion on rules that turned out to be
inapplicable to the site we found. We worked hard on compromises between
people with strong feelings on multiple sides of issues -- and then some or
all of the stakeholders in that issue didn't move in. We found paths that
reflected the will of the group, and then the makeup of the group changed.
And we completely failed to anticipate which things would turn out to be
really controversial after move-in.

I guess I would say it's not a bad idea to get started on "hot topic"
policies but don't spend huge amounts of time, energy and social capital on
them like we did.  (It took us six months to decide on a pet policy that in
the end didn't meet our needs after move-in.)

"Once a loving person has begun feeding feral cats, it is too late to write
a pet policy."

We spent 6 months on a pet policy that didn't mention feral cats once.  It
didn't occur to us.  So had this turned out to be an issue, we would have
had to discuss it. It's just not true that it is "too late to write a
policy" if you didn't address it before move-in.  Fortunately that
particular thing hasn't been a problem for us, but it certainly could have
been...you just cannot possibly anticipate all the things that turn out to
be troublesome, so you *must find a way to deal with them in real-time. *

Diana