Re: offensive language in the game
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 07:40:51 -0800 (PST)
Tom,

Well, speaking for myself, in the first place, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that the email address associated with Philip's name was the list address. I had intended that to be a private note. But never mind about that.

I am all about respecting other points of view and speaking politely and respectfully to people who inform me of their sensitivity about some particular word. You don't want me to say a cake is moist because the word moist sends chills down your spine? Fine, I'll check the room to be sure you're not in earshot if I want to compliment someone's cake. You prefer person-first language in talking about your child's abilities? Great. You prefer identity-first language instead? Okay, just tell me which. I'm there.

But telling me that a list of words must be excised from the English language because SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT BE OFFENDED doesn't cut it with me. The words are there to be used. And as long as I'm treating people respectfully as people and not as labels, I'm going to use whatever words and syntax I feel like using.

We have a long history of identity groups saying, You can't use That word; you have to use This word. And then five years later, because This word is being used in the same hateful way That word was being used, the wheel turns again. The problem isn't the word. The problem is the hatred with which it is spewed. We need to look into the heart of the speaker, not kick them out of the room for saying a word on an ever-growing checklist.