Re: Parking
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:48:23 -0800 (PST)
> On Mar 11, 2021, at 11:50 AM, Kelli Soika <ksoika [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Our community is finalizing our allocation of parking options. We have
> garages, covered spaces, and surface spaces planned. We're trying to figure
> out whether we should consider adding a "first-right-of-refusal" to the
> garages and car ports. If we choose this option, an individual who owns a
> garage or carport would offer it for sale to the community before selling
> it as part of their home sale.

We have flat parking only and the units do not own them. If people want a
second spot because they have two cars, they rent or borrow another person’s
spot. Since we moved in we have had an increasing number of people who don’t
own cars so we have spaces to reserve for guests. We are urban and near the
Metro stop. And have several short term rental cars 2-3 blocks away.

Our basement storage spaces are deeded with the units and some have been sold
to other residents but it has been handled privately. We don’t have a waiting
list.  In large condos where there are a limited number of storage spaces, a
list is maintained of those who have requested space so they have first choice
when ever someone moves or gives up a space.

Since moving into cohousing, I have learned that too much variety causes
endless grief. It creates perceived differences in maintenance costs,
convenience, haves and have nots, etc.,  forever. I now understand why most
condos are cookie cutter with one bedrooms in one building, 2 bedrooms in
another, etc. The condo fees can be more easily and fairly calculated with
fewer arguments.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

  • Re: Parking, (continued)
    • Parking Kelli Soika, March 11 2021
      • Re: Parking Bryan Bowen, March 11 2021
      • Re: Parking Sharon Villines, March 11 2021